Early signs and symptoms of pregnancy
You cannot wait to miss your periods or the two lines to turn pink. Well ! It can be quite tempting to look for very early signs of pregnancy.
Missed period :
The most obvious sign of pregnancy is missed period. Once you are well past 7-10 days from your expected period date you can try any of the following pregnancy tests to confirm it.
Home Pregnancy kit :
While the most sure shot way to know if you are pregnant is to get a blood test done or take a pregnancy test at home. The home pregnancy kit typically tests your urine for HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) which is a hormone whose level increases rapidly in the first 8-10 weeks of pregnancy . This test can be done about7-10 days after you have missed your period.
Clinical Urine test:
Clinical Urine test can be done at the doctor’s clinic. These test results are more or less similar to that of a home test .
Blood test can also check for HCG and detect early pregnancy.
But even before you miss a period you may be hoping that you are pregnant. Following are few early signs of pregnancy:
1. Swollen breast and tingling nipples: The hormones increases the supply of blood in the breast which can cause heavier ,fuller breast and a tingling feeling around the nipples.
2. Fatigue & headaches : Pregnancy hormones can play tricks with your body and make you feel exhausted and emotional and trigger headaches. Though fatigue or headache alone are not signs of pregnancy.
3. Nausea and vomitting : Morning sickness can start in women between 4-6 weeks.This is one of the common symptoms of early pregnancy. Morning sickness despite it’s name can affect you any time of the day.Some women feel heightened sense of smell .These happens due to increasing level of estrogen.
4. Dizziness: Some women can experience dizziness due to drop in blood pressure or blood sugar levels.
5. Spotting : Around sixth week of pregnancy some women experience spotting. Even though this is common any unusual bleeding should be immediately brought to the notice of your doctor.
6. Dark nipples : You can observe the areolas (skin around the nipples) getting darker and the nipples can be more erect. This is one of the early signs of pregnancy.
7. Frequent need to pee: pregnancy hormones coupled with large volume of blood in the system puts the kidney at work. In case of burning sensation or any pain you must visit the doctor as Urinary tract infection is common during this time.
8. Constipation : High level of progesterone can make you constipated. Intake of fluid and high fibre food should be increased to avoid constipation.
9. Mood swing: The pregnancy hormones can affect you mood. Mood swings are common during this time.
10. Rise in body temperature: Higher basal body temperature can be an early sign of pregnancy.
Did you know your first week of pregnancy is based on the date of your last period. First day of your last period is considered day 1 of pregnancy, even if you weren’t actually pregnant yet. So ladies if you are experiencing these early signs it’s time to call your doctor and schedule your prenatal appointment.
Disclaimer: The information and images displayed on Kidspresso.com are for general purposes only and reflect the personal views of the author. Kidspresso.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in the content.