Having pets in the family is fun. But inviting pets, invites lots of responsibilities too. Especially, when we become parents, we tend to become more cautious about all these things.
But these also require lots of safety standards that need to be followed religiously so that it is safe for the pets and the kids dealing with it. Some kids are sensitive and may be prone to allergies, then having a pet at home isn’t a good idea.
Most of the homes keep dog as it is considered to be faithful. However, remaining alert is also an important segment.
* Pets should be adopted from a known source.
* They should be provided proper medical care and preventive vaccines whenever required.
* Keep a track if your pet has contact with other pets as it might be a reason for disease transmission. This might affect the kids or any other family members.
* Keep a secure place for them so that they don’t always roam around in your area.
* Keep them hygienic. Provide them with hygienic food and water.
* Make sure that your kid is never alone with the pets. There are chances when pets like dogs may indulge in an aggressive behavior and may end up physically hurting the child, like biting or hitting.
* If you have cat as a pet, ensure it has a litter box which needs to be cleaned on a daily basis.
* Wear gloves while washing your pets.
* Teach kids to treat animals gently. Never hurt or tease them.
* Kids should not be allowed to eat together with pets. Maintain a different set for pets, separate toys and bedding.
* Warn your child not to go near an unfamiliar dog even if it has friendly looks.
* Teach your child to standstill if you observe an aggressive behavior of your pet. Try not to run and scream, rather refrain from eye contact, back off gradually.
* Never disturb a pet while it is sleeping, eating or playing with its own babies. This may lead them to an aggressive behavior even towards the most familiar person.
What to do in case your child is bitten by a dog or cat:
* Calm the child and wash the bitten area with cold water.
* Apply an antiseptic and cover the area with a dressing.
* Take the child to the doctor for tetanus or any other safety immunization procedures.
* In case a flesh has been bitten, rush to the hospital immediately. Control the bleeding by applying firm pressure to the wounded area using a sterile cloth.
* Wash the scratched area thoroughly and disinfect it.
In case you have birds at your home as pets, make sure whenever your child touches them, later on they need to wash their hands. There are many diseases that can be transferred via these pets.
While it is good that your kids may get a companion to play with but remaining alert is also crucial. There mood swings cannot be detected hence alert is the best key to avoid any unfavorable circumstances.
Disclaimer: The information and images displayed on Kidspresso.com are for general purposes only and reflect the personal views of the author. Kidspresso.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in the content.