Congratulations!! You are on week 4 of your pregnancy.
What’s happening inside your body:
The actual pregnancy start after the blastocyst implantation is done. Some amazing developments are happening during this week. The fertilized eggs begin to divide and are floating in the uterus. These tiny cells are now an embryo and are about the size of poppy seed. After the process of fertilization is completed the sex is determined. Whether you will have a girl or a boy will depend on the sperm.
During this week the the embryo has firmly implanted itself in the uterine line. The embryo is surrounded by an amniotic fluid. The placenta has started to develop.
There are three layers to your baby- the ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm. The three layers forms the baby’s organs and tissues.
The ectoderm becomes the nervous system , skin, hair, nails, mammary glands, sweat glands, and enamel for the teeth.
The mesoderm becomes the heart, circulatory system, skeleton, connective tissues, blood system, and the muscles.
The endoderm will house the lungs and develops into the lining of the gastrointestinal tract, the liver, pancreas, and thyroid.
Arms and legs begin to take shape during this time.
During this week you can get an intuition that something is going on inside your body.
Signs and symptoms during week 4:
Bloating : Due to surge in the hormone progesterone you might feel a little bloated.
Cramping and light spotting may be experienced during this week.
Fatigue and headaches
Mood swing and morning sickness may become more prominent from the start of this week.
Tender and swollen breast can be a probable symptom during this week.
Precautions to be taken during this week:
- Continue the intake of minimum 400 mcg of folic acid. If you haven’t started yet now is the time to start. This helps to protect the baby from any neural defects.
- Start your pregnancy multivitamin as suggested by your doctor.
- Healthy lifestyle and proper intake of nutrition is important .
Are you little curious to know the secret behind successful implantation.
- Conception happens when the mother’s body does not reject the implantation of fertilized eggs. The foreign cell groups or the blastocyst in your body is a normal response of your immune system to look for and destroy such cells. Apart from that the maternal immune cells are disabled by the corticotropin-releasing hormone and chemokine secretion.
- After implantation is complete, a reaction called decidual reaction happens that offers favourable conditions for the embryo to grow and develop.
- You must have missed your period by now . By the last day of this week, the embryo is completely embedded in the uterus line and a USG scan can identify the same. If your previous pregnancy test were negative or not very clear take the test now.
Get ready to scream out “It’s positive”!!
Disclaimer: The information and images displayed on Kidspresso.com are for general purposes only and reflect the personal views of the author. Kidspresso.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in the content.